Friday, August 30, 2013

New Beginnings: an Indroduction





Hi everyone! Welcome to my blog and thank you for visiting. This is my first blog and I am super excited to be a part of the community. As a new student, who has decided to make a career change, I look forward to sharing and exploring ideas with you all. 



Working in the dental profession for 11 years, most of my technical expertise is concentrated within the health industry. I have proficient experience working with radiographics, Cadcam, and TSCAN (or Tekscan) technology. Specifically in the area of radiology, I am certified to collect, process and translate 2D and 3D data for diagnostic purposes. Many people are familiar with radiography and how useful it is for patients and health professionals, but I would like to share more with you about Cadcam and Tekscan.

Cadcam technology is something fairly new to the dental field, with early prototypes clumsily emerging in the mid 80's. This technology allows the operator to use a compact, mobile laser to scan a real-world object on multiple planes and angles, achieving a precise 3D rendering. In this case, the object of interest would be your tooth. After a few design modifications for aesthetics and fit, a separate milling machine manufactures a solid restoration from the rendering. After many years and much improvement, Cadcam technology has become an important part of dentistry by increasing work efficiency while minimizing laboratory costs.

Tekscan technology is something that I find particularly exciting. It is a pressure mapping system which, in the dental industry, is used for mostly diagnostic purposes. This ultra useful technology makes visualizing pressure data easy. A sensor is used to record pressure and movements which are being applied to it. In dentistry, the pressure would be from your jaw and your opposing teeth. The recordings are then played back as video and can be analyzed at each moment. Much like a heat map, different colors indicate individual levels of psi overlaid onto models of the object being evaluated. These visualizations allow for improved patient awareness and allow health professionals to make accurate and confident diagnostic records. 

A love and curiosity for new technology has led me back to academia. Beginning with Mathematics for a solid foundation, my goal is to follow through with a degree in Aeronautics. For a long time now, I have dreamt of working for a company such as Google, SpaceX, Boeing or NASA, and make a significant contribution to society. I have great interest in the area of computer science and find the most exciting thing to be the constant push forward of information and development. With enough information, it seems anything is possible! With my skill set, I will be able to recognize important problems, gather data, conduct experiments and work together with others to find a solution to the problem.

I have included a few links if anyone is still curious about Cadcam or Tekscan technology.
 Enjoy!

5 comments:

  1. I found your information on Cadcam and Tekscan interesting and informative. You were smart to link to sources, because a lot of people seem to not do that. Hopefully someday, someone will scan common objects using Cadcam and let the 3D models be used by programmers for free. That would be a cool open source project. I have also been fascinated by aeronautic technology. I’m sure there are lots of good jobs in that field at Boeing and NASA. Overall you did a good job with your post. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ian! I agree, the accessibility would offer lots of opportunities. What direction would you take with an open source project like that?

      Delete
  2. Hi Samantha, I see that you have a very good background about Cadcam and Tekscan, which I think help a lot on your chosen major and minor (you talked that are Mathematics and Aeronautics, right?). These technologies are very useful in analyzing and rendering 3d model... NASA could be your best job destination if you try your best. I think I may do skimming on these fields since I am planning for a Master degree in Bio-informatics. Would you please share some more sources that can help me on Cadcam and Tekscan (excepts above links)? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Quang,
      I would love to share more info with you. I found this site very informative regarding Cadcam dentistry.
      http://goo.gl/BVNwpV

      Here is also a video, to see it in action!
      http://goo.gl/gx0Gmm

      And here is another link leading to more info about Tekscan. This site offers room to explore.
      http://www.digitalocclusion.com/t-scan/

      Enjoy!

      Delete
  3. I love your introduction for its snappy, catchy vibe. It is very interesting, you look very good in the picture. You have a lot of valid and good points about computer science being a constantly changing field. I truly love the way you phrased the ideas that come about with sitching from Dental professional how it is not as dynamic yet the technology that your profession uses led you back to academia. It is impressive to ponder how much technology affects us in every day life. Your introduction shows well that you are a cool person. As you mentioned, curiosity led you to the field of computer science, so welcome. I have coded for seven years and truth be told, I never get tired of programming. It is a very rewording experience. Although, do not rush so fast thinking anything is tackalable, you will have skills that transfer over, such as attention to details, yet computer science has the ability to through a boomerang at you. You transition well from topic to topic, great job.

    ReplyDelete